Mechanical Engineer II
in Melville, NY - US
This position offers you the opportunity to design and develop state-of-the-art products that offer great functionality. Reporting to the Manager of Mechanical Engineering in the Residential business unit, you will be responsible for product design, development and testing of all aspects of mechanical components, systems and equipment, including new and existing products.
The ideal candidate will be motivated to succeed and eager to join our seasoned and dynamic team; contributing to the success of new products and innovations. The candidate must have the understanding of multiple design concepts, manufacturing techniques and materials, including manufacturing processes and tolerances, and experience with electrical power distribution systems and low voltage switchgear products.
- Complete the product design, analysis and development of mechanical components, systems and equipment, including assembly and part drawings as well as other required documentation from design concept to manufacturing release; Develop electronic help files pertaining to new products
- Has working experience and practice designing Industrial products specifically in the areas of electrical connectors and switches
- Use a CAD system to generate designs and documentation; Uses computer assisted engineering software to design and evaluate mechanical designs. Develop multiple design concepts and present to peers
- Create and modify working samples as required in metal shop, test lab, prototype lab or similar environment
- Work with Document Control to create a document package that specifies the complete design and implementation of a product, including, but not limited to 2-D drawings, Bills of Materials and Engineering Change Orders
- Responsible for implementing documentation updates and changes to existing products
- Assure system and product quality by designing testing methods; Test finished- product and system capabilities; Confirm fabrication, assembly, and installation processes; Generate testing and validation plans for designs and execute on them
- Keep equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services per manufacturer's instructions and established procedures; Request special services as required
- Prepare product reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Maintain system and product databases by writing computer programs and entering data
- Analyze current designs and products for improvements and/or troubleshooting
- Research various mechanical engineering issues including parts and processes
- Additional duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar technical degree
- 4 - 8 years of Mechanical Engineering experience
- Must have experience with the design and development of low voltage switchgear products
- Experience and proficiency in mechanical modeling/drafting, using the latest version of SolidWorks
- Experience with PC Board and electronics packaging
- Experience with regulatory compliance and validation testing methods
- Experience in Industrial product design and Electro-mechanical device design
Travel: Up to 10%
Leviton professionals are committed to making a positive difference in the world by providing solutions that bring safety, energy-savings and convenience to our customers. Our portfolio of over 25,000 products and 1000 patents are a testament to our engineers’ creativity, ingenuity, and forward-thinking solutions. Be a part of Leviton, where the future is always ON.
Leviton is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.